Nicaragua is a country of unspoiled natural landscapes: it offers virgin beaches on the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean, along the Caribbean coast, an amazing volcanic chain, the largest lake in Central America, cloud forests in its northern region and magical colonial towns in the Pacific region of western Nicaragua.
Nicaragua’s security levels have also gained international recognition, as it has become one of the safest countries in the western hemisphere.
A study performed by CID Gallup Latin America, which measures crime rates and population threatened by criminal acts in Central America by considering factors such as the risk of leaving home and drug-trafficking in school systems, revealed Nicaragua as the country with the lowest incidence of crime in the region.
- Nicaragua contains 7% of the world's biodiversity.
- 20% of the country's territory is protected as national parks or biological reserves.
- Nicaragua´s diverse fauna includes: jaguars, pumas, turtles, monkeys, tropical birds, and crocodiles.
- Nicaragua has 3 biosphere reserves.
- Ometepe Island, located in Lake Nicaragua, is the largest island in the world within a lake formed by two volcanoes.
- Bosawas biosphere reserve is the largest rainforest north of the Amazon.
- Cerro Negro is one of the few active volcanoes in the world where sandboarding can be practiced.
- La Flor National Reserve is one of the seven most important sites in America for massive turtle spawning.
- Leon Cathedral was declared a World Heritage of Humanity